Christopher G. Murphy, CFP®, ChFC®, APMA®, RICP®, MBA
Credentials and Awards
Christopher G. Murphy is proud to have been recognized as a President's Club advisor for 2018, 2019 and 2020—a distinction based on annual production attained by the top 13 percent of advisors affiliated with Commonwealth Financial Network.
Each year, Commonwealth, the Registered Investment Adviser–broker/dealer that helps us process investment transactions on your behalf, recognizes President's Club advisors by inviting them to an exclusive gathering of their peers, leading industry experts, and Commonwealth home office staff. President's Club advisors benefit from an intensive learning and networking experience designed to help them hone their expertise, share best practices, and provide ever-higher levels of service, education, and leadership to their clients.
In his career with Ameriprise, Chris was consistently recognized as a top-level producer, ranking in the top 10 percent of independent advisors associated with Ameriprise.
Other awards include:
2021 Best-in-State Wealth Advisors1- Forbes Magazine
Master Leader- multiple awards on the Ameriprise Leadership team.
Diamond Ring Award.
Numerous Circle of Success awards.
Several 100% Client Satisfaction Awards.
President’s Recognition awards.
Chris has been interviewed on TV interview with Fox Good Day New York and featured in an article in the American Express Financial Advisors “Franchise” magazine.
Consumers Research Council- America’s Top Financial Planners, 2010- 2011
- Chris lives in Cary, North Carolina, with his wife, Christine. He has two sons, Brandon and Trevor and a British golden retriever named Torrey.
- Chris is an avid sports fan, specifically college football/basketball and hockey.
- He also enjoys music and spending time in the summer on his pontoon boat with family and friends.
Giving back to the community is also important to Chris and his team. They donate to several organizations annually, including Duke Children’s Hospital and Health Center, Durham Rescue Mission, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Meals on Wheels, Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC, suicide related charities and the ASPCA. CROSSBRIDGE also selects from a select group of clients annually to donate to their favorite charities.
- In April 2017, Chris joined Crossbridge Financial Group, LLC, to provide a truly independent and comprehensive approach to financial planning. He believes that to provide world-class service and guidance, an investment professional should be free from the influences at many of the traditional Wall Street firms. Crossbridge Financial Group is proud to be associated with the Commonwealth Financial Network®, a leading independent broker/dealer.
Chris and his team have extensive experience in helping affluent clients preserve and grow their wealth. They possess the capabilities and resources to provide customized recommendations and support for tax, estate, and retirement planning.
They help clients step back and explore the full range of opportunities their wealth can bring.
- In 1988, joined IDS Financial Services, which became Ameriprise Financial Services Inc. in 2005. While there, Chris was a senior financial advisor, district manager, director of new advisor development, gold team advisor, platinum financial services advisor, private wealth advisor, and registered principal.
- Senior accountant- Paine Webber in New York City,1987–1988.
- Internal auditor- EF Hutton in New York City, 1985-1987
Degrees and professional designations:
- BS in marketing- University of Bridgeport
- MBA in marketing- University of Bridgeport
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®),
- Chartered Financial Consultant® (ChFC®),
- Accredited Portfolio Manager (APMA®)
- Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®).
- He also belongs to the Financial Planning Association.
Chris is licensed in 19 states and holds FINRA Series 7, 63, 65, and 66 securities registrations as a Registered Representative with Commonwealth Financial Network. He holds numerous state IAR and state securities licenses, including California, Florida, North Carolina, and New York.
1The 2021 ranking of the Forbes’ Best–in–State Wealth Advisors* list was developed by SHOOK Research and is based on in–person and telephone due–diligence meetings to evaluate each advisor qualitatively and on a ranking algorithm that includes client retention, industry experience, review of compliance records, firm nominations, and quantitative criteria (including assets under management and revenue generated for their firms). Overall, approximately 32,725 advisors were considered, and 5,000 (approximately 15.3 percent of candidates) were recognized. The full methodology** that Forbes developed in partnership with SHOOK Research is available at www.forbes.com.
*This recognition and the due–diligence process conducted are not indicative of the advisor’s future performance. Your experience may vary. Winners are organized and ranked by state. Some states may have more advisors than others. You are encouraged to conduct your own research to determine if the advisor is right for you.
** Portfolio performance is not a criterion due to varying client objectives and lack of audited data. SHOOK does not receive a fee in exchange for rankings.
Office Locations: Cary, NC
Directions to Cary, Chapel Hill Offices
Please enter your starting address to get customized directions to our office.